I create mostly 2D art that borrows from both traditional and contemporary techniques. I’ve focused on drawing, painting, and digital art most of my life (with occasional forays into ceramics), but more recently I have become mildly obsessed with printmaking.
I tend to use the Texturous Studios moniker when promoting my artwork online and at art festivals. The “studios,” such as they are, are technically a corner of my family room (and, occasionally, pockets of the garage), where I try to contain my mess du jour. On any given day, my work table might be occupied by acrylic paints, toxic-smelling epoxies, my sewing machine, and/or assorted scraps of paper, wood chips, and fabric. I also take advantage of any opportunity I get to play around with a printing press by taking classes at nearby schools like PCC Sylvania and PNCA.
Art festivals and shows
- Charbonneau Arts “Art with Flair” virtual exhibition (online event, October-December 2020)
- The Inked Image Fine Arts Print Show, Sidestreet Arts (Portland, OR, January 2021)*
- Emerald Print Exchange (Eugene, OR, 2020)
- Beaverton Arts Mix! Show and Sale (online event, October, 2020)*
- Closing the Distance Northview Gallery student show, Portland Community College (online event, June 2020)*
- Buckman Art Show and Sell (Portland, OR, March, 2020)*
- Marine Food Webs: Drifters to Swimmers group show, Giustina Gallery (Corvallis, OR, Feb-March 2020)*
- Emerald Print Exchange (Eugene, OR, 2019)
- Fall Festival of the Arts (Troutdale, OR, September 2019)*
- Silverton Fine Arts Festival (Silverton, OR, August 2019)*
- Clackamas County Arts Alliance Artist Exhibit Program (Oregon City, OR, June – December 2019)*
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival On Tour group art exhibit (Oregon City, OR, June 2019)
- An Artistic Heritage group show at Lake Oswego Festival for the Arts (Lake Oswego, OR, June 2019)*
- Lake Oswego Festival for the Arts Open Show (Lake Oswego, OR, June 2019)
- Friends of the McLean House Art and Garden Gala (West Linn, OR, April 2019)
- ArtSplash (Tualatin, OR, July 2018)*
- Buckman Art Show and Sell (Portland, OR, March, 2018)*
* Asterisks indicate juried events
I use my work as a means of examining our complex relationship with the natural world around us. As humans, we at once treasure nature’s beauty, exploit its resources, and attempt to contain the elements we deem undesirable. I explore some of these contradictions through my creative process, which relies on a mix of planning and serendipity, and my choice of medium, which juxtaposes a reliance on plastic-based acrylics and epoxies with a “zero-waste” ethic of employing found and re-purposed materials.
I typically work in layers, each layer informing and sometimes contradicting the next. When I am struggling with a piece, I continue returning to it – sometimes with a new medium or concept – adding additional layers of information until it feels resolved.