I am a mixed-media artist working out of my home studio in West Linn, OR. I create layers of texture, meaning, and color through a combination of painting, printmaking, and collage techniques. With each layer I hope to introduce the viewer to new ways of thinking about the image’s subject matter or even subvert their initial assumptions. I keep a constant eye out for ways to give new life to cast-off materials through my art to offset the environmentally-unfriendly effects of many traditional art media. In my work you’ll see vestiges of seed catalogs, sewing patterns, old books and magazines, maps, and my own discarded projects.
I use the moniker Texturous Studios when promoting my artwork online and at art festivals. The “studios,” such as they are, are technically a corner of my family room (and, occasionally, pockets of the garage), where I try to contain my mess du jour. On any given day, my work table might be occupied by my Ettan etching press, acrylic paints, toxic-smelling epoxies, my sewing machine, a haphazardly balanced laptop, and/or assorted scraps of paper, wood chips, and fabric.
I enjoy actively engaging with the artistic community both locally and online. I am an appointed member of the West Linn Arts and Culture Commission, volunteer weekly at the Portland Art Museum’s Rental Sales Gallery, and maintain the website for Print Day in May, a volunteer-run global printmaking event held the first Saturday in May every year.
Select exhibition history
- Buckman Art Show and Sell (Portland, OR, April 2022)
- Abandoned: Images of What Remains group show, ARTspace Gallery (Lake Oswego, OR, September–October 2021)
- Silverton Fine Arts Festival (Silverton, OR, August 2021)
- Artists on Rotation ongoing exhibit, Ford Gallery (Portland, OR, January–October 2021)
- The Inked Image Fine Arts Print Show, Sidestreet Arts (Portland, OR, January 2021)
- Beaverton Arts Mix! Show and Sale (online, October 2020)
- Buckman Art Show and Sell (Portland, OR, March 2020)
- Marine Food Webs: Drifters to Swimmers group show, Giustina Gallery (Corvallis, OR, Feb–March 2020)
- Fall Festival of the Arts (Troutdale, OR, September 2019)
- Silverton Fine Arts Festival (Silverton, OR, August 2019)
- Clackamas County Arts Alliance Artist Exhibit Program (Oregon City, OR, June–December 2019)
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival group art exhibit (Oregon City, OR, June 2019)
- An Artistic Heritage group show at Lake Oswego Festival for the Arts (Lake Oswego, OR, June 2019)
- ArtSplash (Tualatin, OR, July 2018)
- Buckman Art Show and Sell (Portland, OR, March, 2018)
I am always eager to learn new processes and techniques to expand my creative practice.
- Monotype workshop, Crow’s Shadow Institute of the Arts with master printer Judith Baumann, Pendleton, OR (Spring 2019)
- Printmaking coursework, Portland Community College with master printer Paul Mullowney, Portland, OR (Fall 2018–Spring 2019)
- Community education summer intensive: Photogravure, Pacific Northwest College of Art, Portland, OR (Summer 2018)
- MS: Technical Communication, emphasis in Human-Computer Interaction, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY (Fall 2003)
- BA: Digital Fine Art, minor in Computer Science, San Jose State University, San Jose, CA (Fall 1999)
- Summer animation intensive, New York Film Academy, New York, NY (Summer 1997)
- Graphic design certificate, North County Regional Occupation Program, Cupertino, CA (1994)
- Summer painting and drawing residency, California College of the Arts, Oakland, CA (Summer 1993)